Becoming a Master Marketer - Relationship Marketing

Monday, June 19, 2006

You'll notice I use the term "relationship" in place of "network" marketing. Networking has its place in your business. You will network to find potential Preferred Customers - people who want to be on your product but have no interest in building a business of their own. However, when it comes to finding leaders who will duplicate you, it is all about building trust and developing relationships.

My feelings and posture toward prospecting have changed dramatically over the years. It used to be if someone could fog a mirror I considered him a candidate for my USANA business! Consequently, I initially sponsored many distributors who never grew their businesses and who, in many cases, didn't even care to.

So...when it comes to finding leaders who will partner with you, what type of individuals are you looking for? Who do you want to build a relationship with? Let me share a few guidelines with you.

I remember listening to a tape by Big Al (Tom Schreiter) where he compared bringing on a new distributor to choosing a marriage partner. Few of us would say, "Oh, I'll just take anyone." Generally, we make a list of things we're looking for in a marriage partner. My list would look something like this:

Has a sense of humor
A member of the opposite sex
Loves children
Has a kind nature
Shares my basic beliefs and values
Has the ability to make a living
Proactive in taking care of health
Wants to live in California
Understands relationship marketing!

You're going to be living with this person, so it's a good idea to find someone you'll be compatible with. However, when it comes to sponsoring someone into our business, too often our first and only concern is, "do they have a credit card?" No wonder we end up as adult caretakers of people waiting for us to build their businesses for them!

So, here's the secret: Decide whom you want to work with before you ever start prospecting. Here are some guidelines I have used as I look for potential business partners. I suggest you come up with your own list of qualifications using mine as a guide:

1. Choose people you really like. Make certain their personalities are compatible with yours. Choose people who make you laugh, who you can get close to. Eventually, you'll be traveling the world with these people!

2. Prospect people who have a positive outlook, credibility and a sphere of influence. You want to work with winners, goal-oriented individuals determined to make it, no matter what. I once shared this idea in a seminar and someone pointed out that when I heard about USANA, I was broke. That's so true. However, there is a big difference between being broke (a temporary condition) and being poor (a state of mind). I knew, with absolute certainty, that I had it in me to become financially successful. I dreamed about it all the time. It simply took me awhile to find the vehicle worthy of my time and energy. It only takes a few minutes to determine if someone is a winner or a whiner. Don't prospect people who are negative, cranky or mean.

3. Prospect people with high values. Individuals who become very successful in this business are people who have attached a value to their "why" - and ideally that value is not so much about money as it is about helping others. It's much more rewarding to work with people who are authentic and have real depth.

4. Partner with people who value you. This idea is a bit difficult to explain but I'll try. I don't want to feel that anyone dreads having me call them. I want their USANA business to be an important part of their life, not just another thing to take up their time. I want partners who see this as an opportunity to work with a like-minded individual who is sincerely interested in their success. They must value me enough as a person to allow me to mentor and coach them.

That's it! Pretty simple.

Collette Larsen
http://www.larsenglobal.com
collette@collettelarsen.com
USANA's First and Only 8-Star Diamond Director
(800) 238-9679

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

The Larsen Global USANA blog strives to support and train associates within USANA, and the network marketing industry as a whole. Larsen Global is the business name for the partnership of Collette Larsen and Zachary Ross, Ten Star Diamond Directors, and the most successful distributorship in the history of USANA.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP